Thursday, January 20, 2011

Blue 'Private Dancer'

Private Dancer.  No, I am NOT Tina Turner. I look NOTHING like her.. the killer body and hair...? Nope? BUT would you still love me in the morning if I told you I have been a pole dancing instructor? YES. Little ol grew-up-in-a-small-town-me!  I bet now you are thinking " time to shut it down, I wont be visiting this trashy second rate blog anymore"!!  For those of you daring ones.. read on!

I was approached a few years ago by a lady I know (nice normal lady), who knew I was a fitness instructor and very athletic. Well, she had just bought a business where you would teach pole dancing lessons in peoples houses and at ie. hen parties and such.  And, for ladies who were shy about dancing, etc.  So, from the fitness perspective, she asked me (since I was so fit) if I would help her at some of these home parties for ladies. Why not?? So I did!  I can tell you, holy man it is hard work and some of those moves...? well, let me just say I would end up with bruises on my legs from trying to wrap my leg around that fireman pole! Yikes!  You wouldn't believe the ladies at these parties. Most of them would be whoopin it up and laughing and cheering until it was THEIR TURN, when, at that time they usually would cry or run and hide in the other room. They were so shy and embarrassed. And the whole reason they would host the all girls party to begin with was to get more confident about themselves and their bodies.  Anyway, isn't it interesting how we have freedom in certain areas of our lives, and not in others. This pole dancing experience was an eye opener for me. In a good way.  Somehow it helped me to relate to people in another way, if that makes sense...  And no, I no longer teach this, or do it myself...but I do still have the pink feather boa and the cat likes to tear it up and suck on the feathers.  End of chapter.

I am now a member of Fashion Beauty Friend Friday.. so stay tuned for my post tomorrow!!!
Over n out  xoxo j

16 comments:

  1. Lovely combination Jodi, blue is a great colour on you. You know, I took one of those classes with my girlfriends for one of their birthdays, it was a lot of fun, but it was really really hard. I am very impressed you helped to teach it! Way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the blue! And a pole dancing instructor? I love learning new things about you!!!!! trollop! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to try pole dancing: with the right group of friends. And I'm still trying to find those :P

    I'm so impressed that every day you're still able to do the colour challenged. Then again, I used to wear an excess of black so I still find it weird when people mention that I wear a lot of colour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, very interesting story! I would have never guessed you were a pole dancing instructor, but now that you say so, I could totally see it! I'm all for any kind of exercise. Perhaps I'll put pole dancing on my list of "To Try" . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL....I always seem to get dyslexia when I post to your blog and need to delete my comment, lmao!!
    Here, is what I said:

    LOVE the blue and black together...super cool photoshoot location too....LOVE the pic by the stairs...you just keep rockin' on, don't you?? Guess what? I think I'm going to a beginner pole dancing class next Friday with a few model friends...umm yea, that outta be a site to see wouldn't you say?? hahaha.....soooo glad you are part of the FF group..and guess what else? I named YOU as one of my fav genuine bloggers...cuz that's just how I rollllll......:) kisses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with you babe! Pole dancing is actually one of the hardest thing I've done (I mean fitness-wise!) and here I am, I thought I have great upper body strength!

    Blue is certainly your colour - I love this look!

    Stay Happy and Positive!

    besos,

    ML


    20 YORK STREET

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, you do have a killer body and great hair like Miss Turner! Did you ever see that episode of King of Queens where Doug outdoes Carrie on the pole? (Yes, I actually did watch that show) These little gems we learn from each other! Your boots look blue in the last pic. Tall blue boots would be fabulous!

    Jen Hemming and Hawing Again

    ReplyDelete
  9. While I'm not saying go out and strip, I think pole dancing is a great form of exercise, if it will get someone to stay active regularly then why not. It's cool you got to teach women to be confident, and have fun.
    My Heart Blogged

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that shade of blue. you should post more abut teaching fitness classes, since it is really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm... really valuable post. Hidden in its seemingly conventional blog framework is a very serious message on the sociological and psychological conditions of women in modern society. I admire you for raising those issues and confronting them. Someday, I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the outfit and the story. Blue is such a lovely color on you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, those parties sound like they were a fun experiacne. It is odd how even in the company of our peers, where no one is supposed to be judging us, we still can't manage to be confident and comfortable with ourselves.

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will never look at you in the same way again. Only joking. Thanks for sharing another fascinating insight into your life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. For my bachelorette, we went to see a "show" at an upscale establishment. (I HAD to add that last part!) After seeing the acrobatics, I could not believe how strong and athletic these women had to have. These were truly hard working ladies. I'll never pass judgment again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Get out of town! That's awesome! And now I have Tina Turner stuck in my head...

    ReplyDelete